Remember when you went to the dentist needing a crown? Your tooth would be shaped for the crown. An impression would then be taken while a temporary crown is in your mouth. To many, this process would seem to last forever.
Next, you would have to wait for the permanent crown’s arrival. Within those two weeks, you hope that the temporary crown did not fall off (and it usually did). With CEREC®, that whole, long, involved scenario is no longer necessary. You walk in for your appointment and walk out with your new crown the same day.
What is CEREC®?
The CEREC® system of dental restoration allows your dentist to create your crown during your visit with technologically advanced equipment. There are three major components to the CEREC® system:
• The acquisition device is a very high-end camera attached to a medical grade computer. It photographs your tooth after the dentist has prepared it for a crown, creating amazing three-dimensional images that allow your dentist to design your crown.
• Three-dimensional Computer Assisted Design (CAD) software lets your dentist view your tooth from every possible angle as if he were holding it in his hand and turning it. He uses this software to design your custom made crown.
• The milling device is the part that actually creates your crown with the information from the CAD, the camera and the dentist’s input. The dentist inserts a ceramic block that matches your tooth into the milling device, and within a short time, it produces a crown that fits your tooth perfectly.
Using this equipment for dental crowns
• Prepare your tooth with the drill, removing all decay, and get it ready to accept the crown
• Take an image of your tooth using the CEREC® equipment
• View the image and design the final restoration
• Send the final design to the milling unit
• After 30 minutes, place the finished crown in your mouth to ensure it is a proper fit and bite
• Polish the crown and affix it to your tooth with dental cement
• Recommend you not chew on that side until the anaesthesia wears off, and thank you for coming.
Major advantages of CEREC® One-Day Crowns or single visit crowns
Studies have shown that these crowns last from 5 to 10 years and possibly longer. They require less of the tooth to be removed, so more of your natural tooth is saved. Only one visit is needed, rather than two or three (if the temporary crown falls off). They are minimally invasive.
Southeast Calgary Dentist: We use CEREC® technology!
To schedule your next CEREC® One-Day Crown at Outdoor Dental or if you have any questions,