Fluoride Varnish – Post Op Info
A fluoride varnish was used today for your fluoride treatment. The fluoride varnish safely provides optimal protection, delivering the highest fluoride concentration possible to the tooth surface. The fluoride varnish may appear white and pasty on the tooth surface.
To obtain the maximum benefit, we ask that you follow these recommendations after you leave the office.
- Avoid eating and drinking for an hour.
- Avoid brushing or flossing for at least 4-6 hours.
- If possible, wait until tomorrow morning to resume normal oral hygiene. Any residual fluoride varnish will be removed with thorough brushing and flossing the following day.
- If you must eat, then eat a soft food diet for the next 4-6 hours.
- Avoid hot drinks and products containing alcohol (beverages, oral rinses) for at least 4-6 hours.
- If you use a prescribed fluoride toothpaste (Prevident) do not use for 2 days following treatment