Living in Calgary, we know that our backyard has a lot to offer. At Outdoor Dental, we understand that many of our patients are balancing busy lifestyles while being physically active. Over the past couple months, we had some patients mention that they’re interested in orthodontics not limited to traditional braces. They bring up Invisalign mainly because they’re discrete - wires and brackets are not the ideal look for teens and adults - so we thought we’d help explain some of the great benefits of Invisalign and how straightening your teeth can not only improve your smile but improve your oral health.
Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign®
Most people are familiar with traditional metal braces. If you’ve ever had them or have known someone who has had them, you know that home care while in braces isn’t always easy. Therefore, when someone needs braces, one of the first thoughts that comes in mind is how they’re going to fit the extra time into their busy life.
Thankfully, there is an alternative to traditional braces: Invisalign, the clear braces solution.
A Great Alternative to Braces: How Invisalign® clear braces work
Invisalign braces are custom-fitted clear aligners. They fit over the teeth like a splint or mouth guard but they are much thinner and less noticeable. When our patients come in for Invisalign, we start off by taking digital impressions and creating a 3D model of their teeth on the computer. The clear aligners are then fit snugly onto the patient’s teeth.
Every week, the aligners will be switched out for a new set. Each set is shaped slightly differently to gradually yet comfortably move the teeth into their ideal position. Patients may experience discomfort for the first day or two, but most say that that the aligners feel more snug than the last pair. The entire process can last a few months to over a year, depending on the patient’s needs. Most of our patients are able to complete the treatment in about twelve months.
Why clear braces are an ideal alternative for those with a busy, active lifestyle
Many of our patients live very active lifestyles and love spending time in the great outdoors. Invisalign braces are ideal for these types of patients. Here’s why.
- They’re clear. These braces are nearly invisible, which is why patients young and old appreciate them. They don’t want to have a lot of metal in their mouth, or colored rubber bands. Other people hardly notice when patients wear clear orthodontic appliances. Therefore, people feel like others are looking at them and not their braces, making them feel less insecure about being in orthodontic appliances.
- They’re removable. One of the biggest complaints among those who have worn traditional braces is how cumbersome it is to wear them. They get food caught in the metal wires and it takes forever to go through their daily dental hygiene routine.
- Our patients who wear Invisalign braces don’t have to worry about their braces while they’re eating. They get to take their clear aligners out, enjoy the meal, brush their teeth, and then put the appliances back into their mouth. Patients also get to remove their appliances and brush and floss their teeth at night as they would normally.
- Those who wear traditional braces have to use special “floss threaders” to thread their floss in between each tooth and wire in order to floss properly. Invisalign wearers don’t have to worry about this, which is perfect for day-to-day living as well as camping. It can be really cumbersome to try to floss your teeth while in the woods. That is why our patients love having an orthodontic option that fits their active lifestyle.
If clear braces are so great, why do dentists still use traditional braces too?
Clear braces are an ideal option for some patients. Why, then, do some people still end up with traditional braces? Is it because they have a dentist who doesn’t know about Invisalign? Actually, this is likely not the reason. There are many people who aren’t good candidates for clear orthodontic appliances.
These patients will likely be told by their family dentist that they need traditional braces instead of clear ones:
- Patients with severe posterior bite issues.
- Patients with severe gaps, particularly if there have been more than one adjacent extractions.
- Those whose upper jaw is more severely more narrow than the lower jaw.
- Those who need severe vertical tooth movement.
- Patients who will have a hard time remembering to keep their appliances in. Appliances must be worn for at least twenty-two hours each day in order for them to work properly.
- Younger patients (and some older ones, too) who might easily lose their appliances—wrapping them in a napkin and throwing it away at lunchtime, for instance.
- If you’re interested in Invisalign, talk to your family dentist to find out if you’re a good candidate.
Interested in Invisalign®? Consultations are complimentary!
At Outdoor Dental, we understand how active our patients really are. For one reason, because we’re just as busy and active! We also understand how difficult it can be to properly take care of your teeth and gums while living such a lifestyle. We are now offering complimentary consultations as well as a treatment offer for Invisalign clear aligners starting today! For the treatment offer, you will need to contact our Calgary dental clinic directly.
Proper alignment of our teeth is important, not just for looks, but for proper function and health of our teeth, gums, and jaw. Clear aligners allow patients to achieve the ideal bite without adding a lot of time to their oral healthcare routine. Invisalign treatment at your Calgary dentist office, Outdoor Dental, is the ideal option for anyone living a busy and active lifestyle.
Are you interested in clear aligners instead of traditional braces? Contact Outdoor Dental - your Seton family dentist - today. We will happily answer all of your questions and determine whether clear aligners are the best solution for your orthodontic needs. Consultations are complimentary and for a limited time - we have a treatment offer.